While your trees have been taking their winter rest, the staff at Metropolitan Forestry Services has been staying very busy training, attending seminars, studying, and honing our skills for the upcoming season.
Just a few examples of the training seminars we put on during the winter:
- Hazard tree recognition
- Electrical hazard awareness and safety procedures
- Pruning of mature trees
- Pruning techniques of Ornamental and Shade trees
- Safe Tree Removal Training
- Climbing and Rigging
- Plant Health Care – recognizing and identifying emerging pest in the St. Louis area
- Shrub Pruning
- Roping techniques to remove difficult trees
- Chipper and Chainsaw Safety Training
- Fertilization and the soil in St. Louis
- First Aide and CPR recertification
To stay on top of the latest research and developments in our industry, several of our staff attended conferences hosted by the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) and the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). In February the Midwest Chapter ISA conference will be held here in St. Louis and our staff will be in attendance.
Training seminars they will attend include:
- Conservation Arboriculture
- Practical Approaches to Managing Aging Tree
- Diagnosing and Correcting the Physical Problem of Urban Soils
- Ok, We fixed the soil. Now what to plant?
- Update on working Near Electrical Conductors
- Soil Bio-Engineering
- Tree Worker Safety – A Close Look at the Electrical Hazards and the New Z
- Diagnosing the “Underground World” of Tree Abiotic Stressors
- Dendro Detective
- Making Space for Trees in the Urban Environment
- Identifying Error in the Trunk Formula Method of Tree Appraisal
For more information about this conference: Please check out the Midwestern Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Website.
All of the information and material learned at these conferences is brought back and shared with the staff via training sessions and with you, our customers, through our newsletter and website. We want to keep our staff and our customers informed and up to date on current trends and issues. Education, training, and safety are of paramount importance here at MFS!